The museum tells the story about the city of Ålesund and its different trades, like fishing, handicraft and shippingindustry. A model of Ålesund before the big fire in 1904 is on display on the ground floor. The museum also houses a collection of artifacts from WW2.
Norways first covered lifeboat called Uræd, is exhibited in the museumgarden. This has been made into a model and visitors are welcome to enter it. Found on the second floor inside the museum.
The museum and the surrounding park is situated at Østre Korsahaug right in the heart of the city center. The building was erected in 1917-19 for the wholesale dealer Rasmus Gerhard Rønneberg. The architects were Ekman, Smith and Michalsen. In 1930 it was bought by Aalesunds Museum. The original exterior has been kept as well as the interior.